Thursday, June 12, 2008

You Never Know Who You Might Meet...

I don't know how many of you are familiar with "Jim D" aka "Pickins" but I got to meet him and had lunch with him last week!!!

I had first heard of him and almost met him spring break of 2000 in Cancun.

I had a photo shoot for LaBoom (a dance club in Cancun) spring of 2000 and I figured with MTV being there he'd have to make an appearance and that would be my chance.

As it turned out the night I was at LaBoom "Jim D" decided to stay in for the night, probably to get away from all the fans and photographers!

While I may not have had a chance to meet him that night I did get to see Dr. Dre, Eminem and Snoop Dogg up close thanks to my VIP credentials. The funny part was I didn't even bring a camera that night since I'd been shooting the night before and quite frankly just wanted to enjoy the free cocktails that night and relax. Oh well, it was still a riot. I felt like a celeb when they lifted the red velvet ropes to let me into the club in front of the more than 3000 spring breakers waiting in line to get inside.

Here's a link to one of the QuickTime VRs I shot for them (back in the old film days:)

http://www.mbdesigns.com/movies/LaBoom.mov

It was a true pleasure to meet "Jim D" last week, he's a real down to earth kind of guy, I really likes his styles...

Rock On,
mb

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you met him! I'd love to hear more about him. I've always admired his work and his styles as well. If there's any chance you could get me an autograph or hook me up with a chance to meet him I would love it. You're the man Mike!